SA’s most loved comedian, Sifiso Nene, is headed to Cape Town this November to debut a one-night only performance of his newest funny showcase, I HAVE NO CHOICE, which promises to leave audiences in stitches.
The Kwazulu-Natal-born stand-up comedian, actor and MC, is set to charm The Mother City comedy audiences at The Baxter Theatre on Saturday 2 November 2019, with his infectious humour and relatable jokes.
After captivating the Cape Town audiences night-after-night at the Jive Cape Town Funny Festival in July, it is for this reason that he chose Cape Town has his city of choice to kick-start his new national tour: I HAVE NO CHOICE.
“I had a really amazing time in Cape Town in July, and I am looking forward to coming back to Cape Town in early November and sharing those stories on stage – uninterrupted. I can’t wait to share my comedic views about ordinary South African stories, politics, as well as the diversities of culture, economic status and class in Mzansi,” he shares.
Nene is no stranger in the comedy industry. He launched his career in 2009 when he won the first season of So You Think You Are Funny – which was a nationwide talent search for up and coming comedians on SABC1.
Since then, Nene has kept his winning streak alive, after winning the Comics Choice Awards in 2012 and 2013, in the Audience Choice category.
Nene says his one-man show in Cape Town is a true first for him.
“People should look forward to me performing a full show, that’s going to be way longer than my usual 10-minute slots at various comedy shows and festivals.”
He adds: “It’s going to be dope, I’ve been writing this show for quite some time now and I am excited to finally share it with Cape Town first, and then the rest of SA.”
MORE ABOUE SIFISO NENE:
- Sifiso Nene holds the title as the first winner of the SABC 1 reality TV show, So You Think You are Funny! in 2009.
- Originally from Durban, he moved to Johannesburg in 2006 with the intention of being a scriptwriter for the comedy show Pure Manatee Show. He was told that his writing was better suited to stand-up comedy so he embarked on a career in stand-up.
- In 2008, he entered the David Kau reality competition show So You Think You’re Funny! and after a 13-week process was voted as the winner, and pocketing R100 000 for his efforts.
- His win on the show led to greater exposure for Sifiso and he landed a slot on Opening Guys, a reality show on Mzansi Magic hosted by Kagiso Lediga, in 2010.
- Following his win, Nene also hit the corporate market as an MC and presenter, and also performed at various comedy festivals across the country.
- In 2012, he won the Audience Choice Award at the 2nd Annual South African Comics Choice Awards, which is voted for by the public.
- Also in 2012, he joined the SABC1 youth talk show Mzansi Insider as a contributor and also starred in the David Kau film Taxi Ride as Bhakabhaka, a rude, funny and stubborn taxi driver who always carries a sjambok and is the best friend of Dlamini (played by Skhumba Hlophe).
- He reprised this role in the spin-off television series which aired on Mzansi Magic and Mzansi Wethu in 2013.
Tickets for this much-anticipated show can be purchased via Webtickets at either www.webtickets.co.za, and are priced at R200 each. You may also book tickets directly from the Baxter Theatre via 0861 915 800 or http://www.baxter.co.za.